This is the first time we’ve ever made sausage gravy and we decided to make our own recipe for it. In the past mommy didn’t have enough confidence in herself to try and make this but we’re trying to be braver, try new things, and just have more confidence in ourselves.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 lb. Jamestown brand hot pork sausage
- 5 ½ cups whole milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can Grands! Flaky Layers Biscuits
- Cook the biscuits according to the instructions on the package.
- While the biscuits are cooking in the oven, take a large skillet out and cook the sausage over low heat until fully cooked. Scoop the sausage out (keeping as much of the grease in the skillet as you can) and place it in a paper towel-lined bowl (or plate), leaving it off to the side for now. Stir in the flour until fully combined with the sausage grease. Slowly stir in the milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the sausage back into the skillet, mixing it in so it’s evenly distributed throughout the gravy. Split open a biscuit and pour the sausage gravy over the biscuit.
Yields: 7 cups of gravy
Because of the sausage, there was a spiciness to the gravy that we enjoyed. The flavor of the sausage actually reminded us of a hot sauce flavor. We might try to tweak the flavor of the gravy a little bit but overall we were happy with how this turned out. Not bad for our first time !
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Jamestown or Grands.
Take care everybody !