- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, stemmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (we used extra-virgin olive oil)
- 6 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces rotini pasta, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Take a rimmed baking sheet out and line it with parchment paper. Add the Brussels sprouts to the lined baking sheet, pouring the olive oil over them afterwards, tossing them around to ensure the Brussels sprouts are coated in the oil.
- Stick the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes or until the Brussels sprouts look like they’re beginning to caramelize. Leave the Brussels sprouts off to the side for now.
- Take a large skillet out and set the heat to medium. Once the skillet’s hot, add the bacon in and let it cook for 8 minutes or however long it takes for the bacon to get crisp. Using a slotted spoon, take all the bacon out of the skillet and place it on a paper towel-lined plate for it to drain on. Leave 4 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the skillet. Toss the onion and garlic into the skillet, stirring constantly for 3 minutes or until they look softened. Now add the flour into the skillet, whisking continuously for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, continuing to stir after it’s all poured in for 5 minutes or until the mixture looks thickened. Stir in the salt, mustard, and red pepper, taking the skillet off the heat once those three ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the cheese to the skillet, stirring until the cheese has completely cooked. Now mix in the pasta, Brussels sprouts, and bacon and serve immediately.
Much like when you eat macaroni and cheese, we decided you can never have enough, which is why we have so many pictures of the mac and cheese !
We love Brussels sprouts but this was the first time we’d ever had it in a macaroni and cheese dish or with bacon and it’s now another way we enjoy eating them ! The pasta was perfect for catching the sauce with, the bacon gave the dish a nice crisp texture and of course we enjoyed the roasted Brussels sprouts being in there !
Recipe source unknown.
Take care everybody !