We were thinking about the b.l.t. sandwich and decided to do our own initial-based sandwich !
- Sourdough bread
- Habanero cheese (we used 3 slices per sandwich, divided)
- Avocado, sliced (½ of an avocado per sandwich)
- 1 pound of Oscar Mayer Naturally Smoked Bacon, cooked (you’ll need 4 slices per sandwich and any bacon leftover is great for munching on)
- Tomatillo spread
- 1 pound of tomatillos, husks removed and afterwards cored and quartered (halve the quarters if the tomatillo is big)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- First start off by making the tomatillo spread: Add the tomatillos and water to a blender. Puree until smooth. Take a large skillet out and add the pureed tomatillo mixture into the skillet. Set the heat to medium-high and add the salt in, stirring to combine. Stirring frequently, reduce the mixture until it has a spread-like consistency. Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Now you can start making this sandwich. Spread mayonnaise on one side each of two slices of sourdough bread.
- Get a large skillet out and set the heat to low. Once the skillet’s hot, place one slice of the bread in the skillet, mayonnaise side down. Use enough of the tomatillo spread to cover the non-mayo side of the bread followed by: 1 ½ slices of the cheese, bacon, avocado, the other 1 ½ slices of cheese and finally the other slice of bread, mayonnaise side facing outward.
- We don’t remember how long it took to cook the first side but it couldn’t have been more than a minute or so ! At this point you flip the sandwich over and cook until it has a nice golden brown crust to it. Eat right away !
This turned out really good ! The avocado adds a nice creaminess, the tomatillo spread has a great tanginess to it, the habanero cheese provides a little heat and the bacon provides a nice contrast in texture as well as a nice level of saltiness.
This recipe was something we thought up ourselves !
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Oscar Mayer.
Take care everybody !