- ¼ cup lime juice (from about 2 limes) (took more than 2 limes for us to get ¼ cup)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped chipotles in adobo sauce (we used 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt (we used table salt)
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried black beans, warmed (we forgot to use this)
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese (we used queso fresco)
- Sliced red cabbage, fresh cilantro, guacamole, jalapeño slices, and/or lime wedges for serving
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Take a large rimmed baking sheet and line it with aluminum foil.
- Add to a blender (we used a small food processor) the lime juice, chipotles, honey, garlic and salt. Process until the mixture looks mostly smooth. Take the cauliflower pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl. Pour the chipotle sauce over the cauliflower pieces, stirring so all the pieces are coated in the sauce. Spread the cauliflower out in a single layer on the lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the onion slices on afterwards.
- Stick the sheet in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and browned in spots, stirring halfway through (we went with 20 minutes).
- Add the beans and cauliflower into the tortillas, topping with the cheese followed by adding on the cabbage, cilantro, guacamole, jalapeño slices and/or lime wedges.
Supposed to serve 4 (2 tacos per serving).
We thought this turned out to be a really tasty taco ! The cauliflower and onion slices really absorb the flavors from the chipotle mixture while cooking. The spiciness from the chipotles gets cut down by the toppings/garnishes. We chose to use queso fresco, cilantro and red cabbage as our initial toppings and thought everything worked together to produce a tasty taco. We tried adding guacamole later on and while it certainly didn’t make it worse flavor-wise, we don’t think it made it taste better either.
We got this recipe from EatingWell.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote EatingWell.
Take care everybody !