- 6 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a 13 x 9-inch baking pan out and spray the inside of it using baking spray with flour.
- Take a large skillet out and add the strawberries and sugar to it, setting the heat to medium-high. Once boiling, cook for 15 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Take a small bowl out and stir the cornstarch and lime juice together until fully combined. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the skillet with the strawberry mixture. Stir constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened. Take the skillet off the heat and let the strawberry mixture cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the following ingredients: oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, salt, baking powder, and zest. Take 2/3 of the oat mixture and firmly press it into the greased baking pan.
- Stick the pan in the oven to cook for 15 minutes or until the oat mixture is golden brown. Take it out of the oven and spread the strawberry mixture over the crust. Now sprinkle the pecans and what’s left of the oat mixture over the strawberry mixture and put the pan back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until the crust looks golden brown and the filling is bubbly*. Make sure you let this cool completely before cutting it into bars.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
* Our crust got golden brown but we never saw the strawberry mixture get bubbly. We decided to pull it out once the crust turned golden brown ‘cause we wanted to avoid it getting burnt.
The texture of the sweet strawberry filling is a nice contrast against the texture of the crust. Such a nice treat for spring/summer.
We got this recipe from Taste of the South.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Taste of the South.
Take care everybody !