- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (They say it’s supposed to only take 2 to 3 limes but those must have been some big limes ! It took us roughly 8 limes to get that much lime juice.)
- ½ cup tequila (we used silver tequila)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec or orange liqueur (we used triple sec)
- 8 (2-ounce) plastic or paper cups or shot glasses (we used 3-ounce paper cups)
- 8 pop sticks
- Coarse salt (we used kosher salt)
- Take a small saucepan out and mix together in it the water, lime juice, tequila, sugar and Triple sec. Bring he mixture to a boil. Let it boil for 1 minute or until the sugar has dissolved, stirring constantly during that time (our sugar dissolved before it came to a boil). Once the sugar’s dissolved, take the saucepan off the heat and let it cool until it gets down to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into the cups*, covering the top of each cup with a small piece of aluminum foil. Place them in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Put the pop sticks into the cups through the center of the foil, putting them back in the freezer for 3 hours or until firm.
- Take the foil off the cups, taking the pops out of the cups by gently twisting them until they come out or simply peeling away the paper cups.
- Take a small plate out and spread the coarse salt out on it. Roll the pops in the coarse salt. You can either eat them right away or put them back in plastic cups and return them to the freezer until you are ready to eat them.
*We don’t know what we could’ve done differently but we had enough mixture to fill 10 cups.
This is a wonderful treat to enjoy on a hot day. You can really taste the classic flavors of a margarita in this.
Recipe source unknown.
Take care everybody !