- 1 lb. uncooked cellentani (corkscrew) pasta
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (we used whole milk)
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- ½ cup (2 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (we went with the ½ cup measurement rather than just shredding 2 oz.)
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp. table salt
- ¼ tsp. ground red pepper, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) package chopped smoked ham (we used Smithfield Hickory Smoked Boneless Ham Steak)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 ¼ cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the pasta based off the directions on the package they came in.
- While the pasta’s cooking, take a Dutch oven out and add 2 tablespoons of butter into it, setting the heat to medium. Once the butter’s melted, gradually whisk in the flour, stirring constantly for 1 minute after all the flour’s in. Now gradually whisk in the milk and evaporated milk until all of it’s in there and the mixture looks smooth. Continue to stir constantly for 8 to 10 minutes or until it looks like it’s thickened slightly. Whisk in the Gouda cheese, Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, salt and 1/8 tsp. of red pepper until smooth. Take the Dutch oven off the heat and stir in the ham and cooked pasta.
- Take a 13- x 9-inch baking dish out and coat the inside with cooking spray. Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish, spreading it out evenly afterwards. In a mixing bow, stir the crushed cereal, one tablespoon of melted butter, and what’s left of the red pepper together. Sprinkle the cereal mixture over the pasta and place the baking dish in the oven for 30 minutes or until the mac & cheese looks golden and bubbly. Let it stand for 5 minutes before eating.
This dish definitely lives up to its name ! You can taste smokiness from the Gouda and the ham and it’s definitely cheesy ! The ham also adds a different texture to the dish which is nice. You could easily serve this as a main dish or as a side dish.
We got this recipe from Southern Living.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Smithfield or Southern Living.
Take care everybody !