- 2 (15-ounce each) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (we used Bush’s brand)
- ¾ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- ¾ cup (3 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese (we used pepper Jack cheese)
- ¼ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ medium jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1 ¼ cups chopped peeled mango (about 1 medium) (we went with the 1 ¼ cup measurement)
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 (2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 6 green leaf lettuce leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a medium-sized bowl and add the black beans to it, mashing it with a fork (we mashed them until they looked like refried beans). Mix in ½ cup cilantro and the following ingredients: cheese, panko, ground cumin, dried oregano, sea salt, chopped jalapeño and egg whites. Take a baking sheet and line it with aluminum foil, spraying the foil with cooking spray afterwards. Shape the bean mixture into 6 (½-inch thick) patties. Place the patties on the lined baking sheet, sticking the sheet in the oven afterwards for 20 minutes, carefully flipping the patties halfway through.
- Take another medium-sized bowl and mix the following ingredients together in it: the remaining cilantro, mango, shallots, lime juice, avocado and minced garlic. Take each patty and place it on a bottom bun, topping each one with a lettuce leaf and 1/3 cup of mango salsa, placing the top bun on afterwards.
We loved this burger ! The patty itself has a little bit of heat to it. It’s tastiest when you can get the mango salsa in a bite with the patty. The lettuce is a nice touch (although we do wonder if they simply called for lettuce to help keep the mango salsa from spilling everywhere). The whole burger, toppings and all, is a great example of how tasty veggie burgers can be.
We got this recipe from Cooking Light.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Bush’s or Cooking Light.
Take care everybody !