- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1 (13-oz.) jar blackberry preserves (The original recipe used Bonne Maman brand but all we could find was Wal-Mart’s Great Value that was in an 18-oz. jar. We just scooped out what seemed like 13-oz.)
- 1 ½ cups blackberries, sliced lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a 13 x 9-inch baking pan out and spray the inside of it using baking spray with flour.
- Take a large bowl out and add to it the oats, flour, butter, brown sugar and baking soda. Using a mixer set to medium speed, blend the ingredients in the large bowl together just until combined. Take two-thirds of the oat crumble mixture and press it into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Stick the pan in the oven for 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Take the blackberry preserves and spread them out across the crust, topping with blackberries and lemon zest afterwards (we put the lemon zest onto the preserves and then added on the blackberries). Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the blackberries and stick the pan back in the oven to cook for another 20 minutes. Let the dessert cool completely in the pan. Slice into bars and store in an airtight container (we placed ours in the fridge afterwards).
Makes about 16 bars.
Mommy loves blackberries. We have some woods behind our house that blackberries grow in and they’re ripe for picking around the time of her birthday (unfortunately blackberries aren’t ready to be picked yet so we used blackberries from the store). Once we came across this recipe, we knew we had to try it out and we’re so happy that we did ! There’s a nice contrast of texture between the filling and crumble mixture. The blackberry and lemon were a nice pairing of flavors. That little bit of lemon zest was a wonderful touch to the blackberry filling. A complimentary flavor that brought some brightness to the sweetness of the filling. This was a delicious dessert !
Recipe source unknown.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Bon Maman, Wal-Mart or Great Value.
Take care everybody !