- 1 (1-pound) head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups thinly sliced scallions
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (we used 2 cups of julienned carrots)
- ½ cup Kimchi Base Sauce (recipe for the Kimchi Base Sauce below)
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- Take a large bowl out and add all the ingredients to it, tossing to combine. Serve immediately.
Kimchi Base Sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 ¾ cups (14 oz.) water
- 1 cup coarse gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) (we couldn’t find any gochugaru so we just used ½ cup red pepper flakes and ½ cup of Annie Chun’s gochujang sauce)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup table salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add the garlic and ½ cup of water to a blender and process until smooth, stopping when needed to scrape down the sides.
- In a large bowl add the remaining ingredients to it, stirring to combine until the sugar’s completely dissolved. Mix in the garlic mixture. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Makes about 2 ½ cups.
This is a spicy slaw but it makes you want to keep coming back for more ! If there’s one downside to it, it’s that thanks to the Kimchi Base Sauce, the slaw is kind of salty. Next time we make this we’ll cut down on the amount of salt added in.
We got this recipe from the cookbook “the South’s Best Butts”.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Annie Chun or the “the South’s Best Butts”.
Take care everybody !