- ½ lb. andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked crawfish tails
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onion (we sliced ours on the bias)
- Take a large skillet out and add the sausage to it, setting the heat to medium-high. Stir the sausage around now and then for 5 to 7 minutes or until it looks browned. Take the sausage out of the skillet and place it on a plate for the time being.
- In the same skillet you just used, add the butter in and turn the heat down to medium. Once the butter’s melted, toss in the bell pepper and onion, stirring now and then for 3 minutes. Add the flour into the skillet, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Now whisk in the milk, continuing to whisk for another 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Stir the sausage, crawfish, Cajun seasoning and salt into the mixture just until everything’s mixed together. Take the skillet off the heat and move onto step 3.
- Stir the cheeses in until they’re melted, then mix in the pasta. Sprinkle the green onion over the top and enjoy !
This is a delicious mac and cheese dish ! There’s a little bit of sweetness from the red bell pepper but the spices from the andouille sausage just balances it out perfectly. The green onion also adds a nice crunchy freshness to the dish. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did !
Recipe source unknown.
Take care everybody !