- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces (we used hickory smoked bacon)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups chopped fresh turnip greens
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- Take a large saucepan out and add the bacon to it, setting the heat to medium-high. Stir frequently (constantly if the bacon starts to stick to the saucepan) for 8 to 10 minutes or until the bacon’s crispy. Toss the onion and garlic into the saucepan, stirring constantly for 3 minutes or until the onion is tender. Add the turnip greens in, stirring until the greens look a little wilted. Pour the broth in, as well as adding in the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Once you see that the liquid is boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low, putting a lid on afterwards. Let it cook for 15 minutes and eat right away.
If you try this dish as is, you might be disappointed in the flavor but we found it to be a lot tastier after adding more salt and vinegar to the dish. We could taste the smokiness from the bacon more and we liked being able to taste the apple cider vinegar more as well in the dish.
Recipe source unknown.
Take care everybody !