- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup diced cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, drained* (we used firm tofu)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika (we used smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 to 3 handfuls baby spinach (about 2 cups) (we went with the 2 cup measurement)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Pour the oil into a large skillet, setting the heat to medium. Once the oil’s hot, toss in the minced shallot, stirring for a minute. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the skillet, continuing to stir constantly for another minute.
- Take the tofu and crumble it into the skillet (the tofu should be crumbled into a small or medium size). Once all the crumbled tofu is in the skillet, add the following ingredients to the skillet, stirring until the tofu is coated in these ingredients: paprika, turmeric, thyme , cumin, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and the salt.
- Continue stirring for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the tofu has reached your desired texture.
- Add the spinach into the skillet, stirring just long enough for the spinach to get wilted (they say this will take between 2 to 3 minutes). Turn the heat off and add in the nutritional yeast, stirring until it’s equally distributed throughout the dish. Serve immediately.
*When you drain your tofu, make sure to leave a little bit more water in the tofu than you normally would. This extra water is supposed to help the tofu absorb the flavors from the herbs, spices and seasoning.
This is going in our favorites, it tasted that good ! You definitely get some heat in this but you also taste a cheesy flavor in this thanks to the nutritional yeast. This was filling, delicious and will definitely be something we make again in the future for breakfast ! Hope y’all will enjoy this as much as we did !
This recipe came from the cookbook “Quick & Easy Vegan Comfort Food” by Alicia G. Simpson.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote the cookbook.
Take care everybody !