- 1 cup vegetable stock (we used Swanson’s regular vegetable stock)
- 1/2 tsp. hickory liquid smoke
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning Mix (recipe follows)
- 12 taco shells or corn tortillas (we used corn tortillas)
- 1/2 medium tomato, chopped
- Taco sauce of your choice
- Pour the stock and liquid smoke into a small pot, stirring to combine. Once it’s at a boil, take the pot off the heat, mix in the TVP and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Take a medium-sized saucepan out and pour the oil into it, setting the saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the oil’s hot, add the onion in and stir it around for one minute. Now add in the bell peppers, continuing to stir for another minute.
- Mix in the rehydrated tvp, the Taco Seasoning Mix and the water, stirring until all the water’s been absorbed and the seasoning has been distributed throughout.
- Lightly toast the taco shells or soften the corn tortillas in a microwave for 30 seconds, filling them with the TVP mixture and topping them with tomato, taco sauce and whatever else you like.
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder (we were out of regular chili powder so we used Hot Mexican-style chili powder)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (we used cayenne pepper)
- 2 tsp. paprika (we used smoked paprika)
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper (we used freshly ground black pepper)
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Store any leftover seasoning in an airtight container. Yields 1/3 cup.
To be honest, when we tried a bite of the TVP mixture all on its own, it didn’t remind us of taco meat which confused us. It smelled great while it was cooking and we knew the Taco Seasoning Mix tasted great but the TVP was just okay tasting on its own. We couldn’t understand what the point of the bell peppers were other than maybe it just being a way to get more veggies in for the day. Once the TVP mixture was in the tortilla though and the toppings were put on, it was a pretty good taco !
This recipe came from “Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food”.
We weren’t paid in any form to promote Swanson or “Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food”.
Take care everybody !